Monday, December 29, 2008

UTAH

When I saw the snow covered mountains as the plane was landing in Utah, I actually teared up. I missed this place. I always say that winter is my favorite season, but only in Utah. I love the way the snow transforms the world around me. I feel like the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker. I also love the crisp cold air. The coldness is refreshing to me and I almost took a friend up on an invitation to go snowshoeing during my stay here. The most beautiful place I've visited while in Utah is St. George. It's been a while since I've made my way down to Southern Utah and I was shocked by the brilliant colors of the land and mountain plateaus. The red rock never ceased to enthrall me.

My mother lives in a nearby suburb of St. George that's so rustic I was surprised not to see Micheal Landon around every corner during the day and Jason's hockey mask chasing me down during the night. Besides snow, street lights rank pretty high up there as one of my favorite things. Mom kept myself, my brother and sister well fed, as usual, and I got to see both Seven Pounds and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. The latter took place in a theater that could have had a Billy Bob, a Bobby Ray, and a Cletis in the audience. I'd wait for the video on both movies, though. Benjamin Button was so long, I started prematurely aging myself.

All in all, it's so nice to be around loved ones in a place I still call home even though I live miles away. There is nothing like being around family and feeling safe and warm on a cold winter day during the holidays. I think that's enough prepostitions for me. Happy Holidays, mine sure are.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Hahahaha! You started aging prematurely yourself!? You make me laugh. I'm glad you're having such a good time! Have you come up with any new Christmas traditions? Is your sister moving to Michigan? I miss you!

tffnyhll said...

Oh, I miss Utah. Thanks for sharing your trip. Happy New Year!