There is definately something to be said of creative questioning. I've been keeping track of the times I've been asked, "So where are you from?" since I moved here and I think the total is now 52,567,034. That one's easy to answer. The second most asked question, and not as easy to answer by far is "What made you decide to move to Hawaii?" That total is only around 51,036,287. Given, people are being friendly and kind by asking about me and expressing an interest in me which is awesome, but it makes me feel like I only have two lines in the play of my life and I keep forgetting the second one!
To remedy this situation I have developed a two pronged solution: Creative responses and creative questioning. Success at the first tactic employs both wit and wildness. For example, creative responses to "What made you decide to move to Hawaii?" could be "Oh, I'm wanted in the the other 49 states, but try not to tell anyone," or "I'm here to end apartheid." My personal favorite creative response that has particular pertinence on the islands is "PETA sent me to defend the rights of the fish used in sushi."
Since I do not wish to be part of the repetitive questioning problem I employ the second tactic, creative questioning. I suggest beginners start by taking a familiar question and using it in a different context. For example, "Nice to meet you Steve, paper or plastic?" Veterans, however, should feel free to draw from any line of questioning that seems relevant and applicable. One my brother finds very informative is "If you could choose from West Nile Virus, the Avian Flu, or Mad Cow's Disease, which would it be?" There really is no limit to the possibilities here. With that, I welcome you to the revolution of small talk.
Oh, and if you have any questions, make it a good one.
4 comments:
That's so funny. I too, am very sensitive to questioning. I actually avoid talking to people I haven't seen in awhile because I have nothing new to report and their questions make me feel bad, lol. I often start out conversations in a very defensive way: "nothing is new with me so GET OFF MY BACK!" Ok, I'm not that bad. I'm thinking that, but I don't say it. Why DID you move to Hawaii anyway? (Just kidding!)
And PS - all of those diseases your brother asks about sound horrible!
How about when you're 7 months pregnant and everyone in the world feels like they can comment on your ginormous belly. Common questions include:
Woah, how much longer?
Do you have only one baby in there?
You must be really suffering in this heat, huh?
When's your baby due? Only followed my favorite line ever.."You're definitely not gonna make it."
Oh and heres the clincher, two older men in a grocery store parking lot...
"Why in the he*& did you decided to get pregnant at this time of year?
My answer: "I can't count to 9."
Here's to all the questions and better yet to the creative answers it fosters in ones own mind.
OK OK I'm done venting about small talk. Fatimah, you've brought me to the light. At least I'm not 7 months pregnant, but people think I'm at nine months. I really can't imagine. And Elizabeth, didn't you travel to the moon last week? I think you did. Perfect answer to "What have you been up to lately?"
The often over-used, but never regretable - would you like fries with that? I never know...should I? should I not get the fries...most usually I resign myself to NOT get the fries unless asked. So...don't forget..."would you like fries with that?" :-)
Post a Comment