Wednesday, July 2, 2008

First Days

Betcha wish you had my wheels. She's a beauty with a combo of sky and baby blue shiny paint, new rims, and Shwinn in silver letters on her frame. She set me back only $75 this morning and in the twelve hours I've had her, she's been good to me. Today was my first day at work (Pier 1 Imports thank you very much) and I was closing. I knew I wouldn't get out of work until after the last bus home had left the area. I could have walked the 3.91 miles from work but a friend of a friend fixes up bikes and sells them for cheap. That's how I acquired Cheryl, my new wheels.

Now, I have to explain that I literally cannot remember the last time I was on an actual bicycle. I'm thinking Greenville, Texas when I was attending Travis Elementary and my bike had a banana seat and tassles (I was stylish even back then). Oh wait, I do occasionally ride the stationary bike at the gym. Nevertheless, we have the saying "It's like riding a bike" for a reason, right? Wrong! Whoever came up with that statement should be drawn and quartered.

First of all, it feels like someone dropped a H-bomb on my nether regions. Second of all, the only reason I escaped a gazillion catastrophic and potentially maiming events was my consistent mantra of "God is helping me. God is guiding me. God is protecting me, even though my crack is hanging out right now." Any innocent bystander would have thought I needed mental help. I had steering issues (i.e. off curbs and into traffic), braking issues (remember to put a foot down when you do that), gear issues (I couldn't seem to get the bike into certain gears), and overall form issues (the heel of my gimp foot kept knocking into the chains of the bike). In short, there were few things I actually did right, but by some miracle that includes mapquest I made it to work on time and in one piece.

On the way back, in addition to being dark it was raining. Coming home was a whole different adventure. It's all downhill on the way to work which means . . . You guessed it, all uphill coming back. While I did not happen to notice that I passed a prison on the way to work since I was entirely focused on staying alive, I did notice it on the way back. I noticed it because I was walking my bike up the sparsely lit hill. You might ask "Who walks a bike?" I'll be happy to tell you who. Someone whose legs have revolted in agony after standing for 8 hours, whose crotch feels like it just went nine rounds with Mike Tyson, and whose brain is too busy thinking about the ex-con that's going to jump out of the next bush! Needless to say, it was a two shower day. I was soaked to the bone when I got home and it wasn't the rain. FYI, drisilque and copious amounts of sweat are not the greatest combo.

I'm being ungrateful, though. It's an honest to God miracle I'm alive. No, truly. If you would have seen me today riding that bike, you would have no doubt that there is a God. Plus, I have Cheryl, a timely and wonderful gift that solved my transportation problem, and a job where I work with really nice people. More importantly, let's not forget the adventures along the way that make life more valuable. God definately finds ways to keep me religious and for that I am also grateful.

I also learned about myself. You really have to treasure those moments when you realize you can do it. I feel like I have to save them up for the days when my internal dialogue tells me I should move to loserville. So I'm glad today was one of those days when I get to say "I did what it took even though it was a risk and it was scary, and I'm proud of myself."

I'm with Helen Keller, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

4 comments:

MOMmandments said...

I am so proud of you!!!! Wow, a bike---I haven't gotten on one of those since I had the grand idea of doing a triathalon and let me tell you --the bike part was the one main reason I gave up on that fiasco.
Congrats on the Pier 1 job! You know i registered there for my wedding because I loved their drinking glasses with the blue rim.
I think of you daily. Thanks for keeping me posted.
Love,
ME

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Oh my dear Najah. I can picture the event perfectly in my head. If I would've been with you on your adventure...instead of internal dialogue, the lashings would've been directed at me. I'm glad you made it home alive.
Just think how that bike is going to help you get the killer thighs for your white bikini! Which reminds me, I better get my heart rate pumping.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Oh dear. Oh dear dear dear! That's awful. Oddly enough,I rode my bike for the first time in years yesterday too! But I didn't have the traumatizing time that you did. I want more updates on the bike situation! Your blog is cracking me up. :)

SpringRose said...

Miss Thang. I love reading your blog, so much so, that the other day while at work, and in between furiously working my fingers to the bone, ha, i shared your blog with my mom, who happened to call me. You remember rachel, short, sassy, red-head...anyhoo she told me to tell you...to get one of those "big cusshy seats for the big cusshy butts" her words not mine. LOL - love you girl. call me...i miss you dearly!